This page has moved to a new address.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

365 Project: Day 164 (roof with a view + pancakes)

My workplace decided to send a holiday card to our customers in the US with the employees’ picture on it. I actually thought it was a nice idea, but when we got on the roof of our building (there is no room inside to fit 70 people or so, and in any case - the lighting outside is much better) there was a harsh wind and in spite of the clouds it was quite bright. So while I still think it was a nice idea, I’m quite scared to see how I came out in the picture - with my hair flying around my head and my eyes squinting in the sun…

Being on the roof is a rare experience, as the door is usually locked. I seized the opportunity and took a few pictures. I couldn’t really see what I was doing (did I mention the blinding light?), but I like the result anyway. The grey tones with the shiny reflections on the office building, and the mountains in the background just strike me as good composition.

2011-12-08 12.10.25

And, pancakes. Well, I’m on a constant diet (and probably will be for the rest of my life), but I like pancakes, and really there is no reason they shouldn’t be part of a balanced diet. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the pancakes themselves, it’s just the toppings they come with that are a problem. So here’s how I solved the issue: Kids get pancakes with white cheese and cinnamon, and some chocolate syrup on top if they want. With vegetables on the side, of course. For me - it’s some fried onions and mushrooms with crumbled feta 5% cheese on top. I rolled them up and ate them like tortillas. Yummmm!

2011-12-08 18.13.54

And, a super easy recipe, of course (if it’s complicated, I don’t make it).

For the pancakes (makes ~5 large pancakes. For more servings, double the amounts)

- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Oil and heat a medium sized frying pan.
Using a soup ladle, pour some of the mix into the frying pan and smooth it out over the entire pan (we want it to be rather thin). When the mix starts to bubble and the sides look a bit dry, turn it over.

For the fill:

- 1-2 onions cut into strips
- 1 basket mushrooms (I use about 1/4 of a frozen package, because our supermarket only sells mushrooms in sets of two, and we end up throwing away an entire basket every time).
- 5% feta cheese, or crumbly/grated salty cheese of your choice.

Fry the onions in a frying pan until clear. Add the mushrooms and let simmer for a while.
Turn off the fire and let cool. Spread on the pancake and add the crumbled feta cheese.

Roll up and enjoy!

Stumble Delicious Digg it
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...