This page has moved to a new address.

Friday, November 18, 2011

365 Project: Day 144 (Soup)

IMG_2793

I make this soup every week, even in the summer (the air conditioner is on anyway, so why not?). Vegetable soup is easy, but the real secret is how to make it look like soup, and not just a bunch of vegetables in clear water. Without stock, of course (who makes/keeps stock around the house?).

Here’s how I do it:

  • Cut up your vegetables into cubes.
  • Chop an onion and fry it in a small amount of oil (canola, let’s keep it healthy) until it becomes clear.
  • Add spices and mix in well. I use paprika, cumin and turmeric (כורכום)
  • Add the vegetables and mix with the onion and spices. Steam for 5-10 minutes (without water!). This mixes the tastes in well with the vegetables and gives them a nice brown color.
    [You’re supposed to add softer vegetables later, but I ignore this “rule” and it comes out just fine]
  • Add enough boiling water to cover the vegetables. You will see that the water is already brown, which is what we wanted (see picture below).
  • At this point I add some instant soup powder (all natural, without MSG or preservatives), but you don’t really have to. Salt will also do the job.
  • Bring to a boil. Lower the flame and let simmer for 40-60 minutes.

Tip: If you want stock for next time, add an extra 2-3 cups of water. When the soup is ready, take some broth and freeze it in a sealed container.

IMG_2811

IMG_2819

Ready for a nice hot bowl of soup for a cold winter night!

Stumble Delicious Digg it
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...