I had a girls day out with my sister today. We had a mini makeover and then went for a bit of shopping. We bought some earrings (which you see above) and sandals (we just didn’t have time for much more). She chose two pairs of sandals, one light blue and one pink (well, the second one was 50% off).
In Russian, Blue and Light Blue are totally different colors, with designated words (seenyee and goluboy respectively). Hebrew has two different words (kachol and tchelet, respectively), but the distinction is not as strict. This may seem ridiculous to English speakers (or other “primitive” languages which do not have this distinction), but if you ask a Russian or Hebrew speaker to get you the blue item, when it’s really light blue, we probably won’t understand what you want.
When you think about it like this, you start to understand how it’s possible to have less designated words for color, and still be able to function. In primitive cultures, it just seems ridiculous to have two (or more) words for colors which are so similar like “sea black” (which we would call blue), or “leaf black” (which we would call green), just like that primitive English which doesn’t have a word for “sky blue” and just calls it “blue”.
My mother made the necklace (we’re a crafty family), which is very long (I wear it wrapped around my neck 4 times), and full of different color stones. Following my own makeover, I found the ensembles with which this necklace works, and I’m finally enjoying it (instead of putting it on because I think I like it, looking in the mirror and taking it off), especially for adding a bit of color to a black dress.